Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Thing #2: Evaluation

Website Evaluation: I love these resources for evaluating websites. I especially like the ones with examples for students to try. Some were more complicated than others, but they can be adapted for elementary. I plan on utilizing these on my library website for students to access from home also. I used the University of Maryland's checklist for website evaluation. My website passed for authority, content, currency, and design. I used UNC's website checklist to evaluate credibility, bias, audience, accuracy, currency and relevance. This last evaluation adds more critical thinking for the evaluator. My website passed all of the criteria from this form but made me look for more criteria in backing up the information on the website.
I like what MHC's library blog said about the need to make this process intrinsic for students. I loved her idea for having it looping in the library. I also would like to make it a natural part of our vocabulary and verbage when perusing websites and doing research in the library. I would like to adapt one of these forms and have it on the computers in the library and send to teachers to have access, perhaps on a library wiki.

No comments:

Post a Comment