Monday, July 26, 2010

Thing #1: Access Information

Before starting I read some of the more expert orthinologist post out there. Being such a novice at this bird watching, I wanted to see the process that the experts are going through. I noticed not only do the experts use the search engines, but they follow links that lead to more expert advice. So I used my trusty dogpile search engine that I have used every time for perusing the internet. I tried "book trailers" and got multiple hits from instructional sites on how to create book trailers to tons of actual book trailer sites from publishers and individuals. I tried "book trailers for elementary students" using yahoo and dogpile. I was surprised to find some cool sites with using yahoo. I found a site that seems most interesting where the librarian used prezi presentation tool to give instruction on how to create a book trailer. I am interested in using prezi (www.prezi.com) now for some of my beginning of the year presentations. I wanted to try Lycos because of the feature of showing the site visually before going to it. I found Naomi Bates, Book Trailers for All, which is very popular with many librarians. I found her instructional page where she uses gives instruction with Photostory and Moviemaker. I put in "create a book trailer with IMovie" and found some instruction through blogs. I noticed people were helping each other out with links to creating them. (http://ofkells.blogspot.com/2010/03/book-trailer-how-to-make-book-trailer.html)I love collaboration!
The databases mentioned were of no help with finding anything about book trailers. However, using Wikipedia led to digitalbooktalk.com, University of Florida's "Digital Booktalk." This is a storehouse of instruction and videos. I loved their explanation for using the videos not just as a commercial per se, but as a tool to draw in reluctant readers, those who have trouble visualizing in the first place.
Other sources found were schooltube and youtube where lots of book trailers are there for our use as examples when creating. I could use all of the copyright free images sites that you mentioned in the 5.75 blog book trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment